Choosing a lower default output resolution is an easy way to increase your RetroPie’s performance with minimal impact to visual quality. Switching from 1080p to 720p halves the number of pixels that need to be processed and looks the same as long as you’re sitting more than a few feet from the display.
With your RetroPie loaded, follow these steps for each of your emulators:
- Launch a ROM from EmulationStation for the emulator you want to adjust (you will have to adjust all emulators separatly.)
- Right before the ROM launches you will see a small grey box, press any button on your controller while this box is displayed to enter the emulator setup.
- Select Select default video more for <emulator name>
- Choose 1280×720 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive
- Hit Ok
- Choose Exit (without launching) or Launch to save your settings.